The Advanced Life Support (ALS) course focuses on teaching specialized adult CPR in a team setting.
On Day 1, the foundation is laid through two short lectures. After this, (partial) skills such as BLS (Basic Life Support), airway management, rhythm recognition and safe defibrillation are trained. Also covered is the systematic approach to the vitally endangered patient using the ABCDE system. Then, various simulations practice leading a resuscitation team.
Day 2 covers post-resuscitation care, recognition and treatment of peri-arrest arrhythmias. After various special circumstances are covered, practice before the practical test.
During the course there will be ample time to practice various CPR scenarios under the supervision of experienced ERC instructors. In addition to the skills needed to serve as a team member, you will also be trained to act as a team leader.
Objective Advanced Life Support course.
After completing this course, you will be able to coordinate and administer specialized CPR – according to ERC guidelines – to adults.
You learned to:
- Recognize and treat a vitally endangered patient using a structured ABCDE method.
- Form a hypothesis based on findings during resuscitation and draw consequences.
- Perform standardized and special specialty CPR in adults.
- Treat a circulatory arrest by cooperating with the resuscitation team.
- Use non-technical skills in order to collaborate effectively within the resuscitation team.
Target group and level
Doctors, (specialist) nurses and paramedics who (may) come into professional contact with specialist resuscitation.
Length and study load
Preparation depends on prior education and experience.
2 days (19 hours)
Advanced Life Support – ALS manual (PDF)
- (Mandatory) pre-test
- Practical test (at the end of day 2)
- Multiple-choice theory test (at the end of day 2)
- Continuous assessment by instructors throughout the training
- Any retake of the practical exam may be taken once on the course day itself. If it is not passed, the student must retake the second course day in its entirety.
- Any retake of the theory exam may be taken at any time, but not on the course day itself.
Certification and accreditation
V&VN accreditation points: 15
NVBMH accreditation is pending
€ 749 exempt from VAT, including lunch and unlimited drinks during the days.